Homemade Dog Treats
If you have a dog, he or she most likely loves treats. And we love giving them treats, because the tail starts wagging and their eyes get big, and it just seems to make them so happy.
Now, while I am not one to buy clothes and expensive boutique dog treats, I do enjoy baking, and it occurred me to try my hand at making my own dog biscuits. My dog is my baking buddy, and tends to hover around in search of dropped goodies – he often ends up dusted in flour. Overall, it was easy and affordable – and Marley loved them.
I had half a can of pureed pumpkin left over from Pumpkin Bread, and hate to see things go to waste. So I started with that and peanut butter, and varied adding dry and wet ingredients to get the dough to have similar consistency as pizza dough. Here is the recipe I ended up with.
Pumpkin-Peanut Butter Dog Treats Recipe
1 cup pureed pumpkin
½ cup peanut butter
2 ¼ cup wheat flour
1/3 cup water
Makes 30 large dog treats
- Mix all ingredients together. Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray cooking spray on hands to avoid sticking. Knead dough until all ingredients are dispersed and it is the consistency of pizza dough.
- Spread dough onto a cookie sheet, filling the entire thing.
- Cut into 30 squares, and make fork indents on each square for design purposes.
- Bake 30 minutes, until biscuits are hard and slightly crunchy on the outside.
- Cool down before giving to the dog.